Splunk Enterprise Security

Calculated field always evaluates to zero

davidmonaghan
Explorer

Hi All

I am attempting to create a field called app for Enterprise Security based off of Cisco WSA Squid logs

To create the field, I use a field alias of the sourcetype to fill the value of app

Next I am trying to use a calculated field to determine to final value app=case(app="cisco:wsa:squid","squid")

Testing this in a basic search works fine sourcetype=cisco:wsa:squid | eval app=case(app="cisco:wsa:squid","squid") | table _time, app

But using that search as a calculated field always evaluates to zero.

Anyone have any idea why?

0 Karma
1 Solution

mayurr98
Super Champion

You need to write only case(app="cisco:wsa:squid","squid") in the eval expression. Field name you have to specify in Name.

View solution in original post

mayurr98
Super Champion

You need to write only case(app="cisco:wsa:squid","squid") in the eval expression. Field name you have to specify in Name.

davidmonaghan
Explorer

Thanks that worked perfectly

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

I have converted my comment to an answer. If you deem a posted answer as valid and helpful to your solving of the issue, please accept said answer so that this question no longer appears open.

0 Karma

davidmonaghan
Explorer

1) I used the Splunk Web interface. The eval expression used was app=case(app="cisco:wsa:squid","squid")
2) Permission have been set to global

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

I have two queries.
1) what eval expression you have configured . can you give the artifacts of local/props.conf where this calculated field configuration is.
2) Try making calculated field permissions to global.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...