Splunk Enterprise Security

CIM malware actions

richardphung
Communicator

Greetings...
We are currently using ES and ingesting data from our IDS and AV to populate the Malware DataModel.

According to the documentation:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/CIM/4.13.0/User/Malware

Dataset name: Malware_Attacks Field
name: action

Data type: string

Description: The action taken by the reporting device.
Abbreviated list of example values:
ES expects: allowed
Other: blocked, deferred

In our DataModel, we have an Eval Expression that uses a CSV inputlookup:
| inputlookup actions_te.csv

alt text
Which is not always helpful as there are a LOT of events being picked up by "deferred"

Would it still be CIM compliant if we evaled Redirect and Detect events as their own actions?
Would this break anything in ES?

Thanks in advance.

0 Karma
1 Solution

lakshman239
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

My suggestion is that you map your field values to one of - allowed/blocked/deferred for CIM complaince. this way the Security Domain -> Malware Center/Search/Operations dashboard will all be fine.

Any searches using datamodel/tstats should also be fine.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lakshman239
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

My suggestion is that you map your field values to one of - allowed/blocked/deferred for CIM complaince. this way the Security Domain -> Malware Center/Search/Operations dashboard will all be fine.

Any searches using datamodel/tstats should also be fine.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...