Splunk Enterprise Security

After upgrading Splunk to latest version(7.0.1), ES dashboard for "Notable" & "Incident Review" not displaying any new data/events.

att35
Builder

Hi,

We recently upgraded to latest Splunk version 7.0.1 but it seems that since that day, ES is not able to populate anything under "Notables" or "Incident Review" as if ES doesn't have access to indexes anymore.

Verified that all correlation and searches related to notable are running.

We did come to know about a specific Bug in UI which causes all the assigned indexes to disappear from Roles. SPL-145546. Fix was applied to the search heads after which we were able to re-assign indexes to roles. could this bug be responsible for the ES issues ?

Noticed that for all ES specific roles(ess_admin, ess_analyst, ess_user), the assigned index section were blank. Added all indexes and restarted Splunk but we still dont see anything under Notables(Securtiy Posture) and for incident review, when search for "all time", the last event is from the day we did the upgrade.

alt text

When I check for internal indexes on the SH, latest event timestamp is 25 days ago, which matches exactly the day Splunk got upgraded to 7.0.1

alt text

I should mention here that we are still able to search all events outside of ES App. Also, within ES, dashboards like Access Center or Traffic Center do show current data. It's just the notable and Incident review that are completely blank.

Has anyone else seen such issue? Anything else I can check to isolate whatever is causing this issue?

Splunk Version - 7.0.1
Splunk ES Version - 4.7.4

Many Thanks,

~ Abhi

0 Karma
1 Solution

att35
Builder

We were able to resolve this with the help of Support.

Turns out, log forwarding was enabled on the ES search-heads but the respective indexes, e.g. notables, were not present on the Indexer and hence the logs were just getting dropped. Once we exported the "Splunk_TA_ForIndexers" app to each of the indexers, all notable related dashboards started getting data.

Thanks,

~ Abhi

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Mohsin123
Path Finder

Okay.
Even we faced with this issue after upgrading splunk to 7.0.1

PFA a similar link where a workaround is provided :

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/114064/indexes-from-peer-nodes-not-visible-in-role-creation-on-se...

Please note, the issue has reoccurred in Splunk 7.0 and the following bug has been raised for this matter:

SPL-145546 - in 7.x in Roles admin Indexes are for local search head only

Workaround:

Step 1) Create a local directory in the search app on the SH with the correct permissions for splunkd to access i.e.

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/local/data/ui/manager

Step 2) Copy an old "authentication_roles.xml" file from "$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/default/data/ui/manager" in any 6.x version or simply download a new 6.x version of Splunk and extract the file there, then place it into the folder created in step 1.

Step 3) Refresh the SH configuration with debug refresh via the web browser:

http://:8000/en-US/debug/refresh

Step 4) Create a new role on the SH and you should see all your indexes configured on the index cluster.

Note: In the workaround provided above, there is a known issue (SPL-146171) where only 1000 indexes is displayed in the UI. If you have more than 1000 indexes, you should modify authorize.conf to add the index(es) to role(s) instead

0 Karma

att35
Builder

We were able to resolve this with the help of Support.

Turns out, log forwarding was enabled on the ES search-heads but the respective indexes, e.g. notables, were not present on the Indexer and hence the logs were just getting dropped. Once we exported the "Splunk_TA_ForIndexers" app to each of the indexers, all notable related dashboards started getting data.

Thanks,

~ Abhi

0 Karma

sk314
Builder

Since this was an ES upgrade, didn't you already have the Splunk_TA_ForIndexers on your indexers? I do have it and the notable index was present. Interestingly, the notable index has no data after the upgrade!

0 Karma

sk314
Builder

were you able to fix this?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...