Splunk Cloud Platform

Using an IAM role with AWS SQS-Based S3 Input

rpersaud

Hello,

I would like to use an IAM Role with the AWS SQS-Based S3 Input.  My particulars:

Splunk Cloud
Version:
Build: 2dc56eaf3546

Splunk Add-on for AWS
Version:
Build:

Note, this is on an IDM.  Based on other community posts, it appears that I would need to complete the following steps:

-Create the IAM role (R) in my account (AC) with the necessary permissions
-Create a user (U) in AC that can assume R
-Add U's Access Key Identifier, and Access Key as an account (A) under Configurations -> Account.
-Add R as an IAM role (I) under Configurations -> IAM Role

So my question is, on the following screen, would I specify A for 'The name of AWS account' and I as "The name of IAM user would be assumed" (shouldn't this be labeled "The name of IAM Role to assume"?)?  Is there a more direct way to accomplish this e.g., the Splunk add-on directly assuming the role?

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 3.19.27 PM.png

Labels (1)
0 Karma

tsmit
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello  rpersaud!

I just fired up my handy AWS/Splunk box to take a look. I'd suggest navigating to the Splunk Add-On for AWS and add the input there. You'll note from the screenshot I attached that the "Assume Role" is optional. I think the UI presents better as well. If there is a ROLE that you would want to assume, you could place it here, but the IAM account that is used will be the same one you setup your Account with in the Splunk Add-On.

2020-09-15_19-01-02.png

-Tom 

0 Karma

rpersaud

@tsmit, thanks for the quick reply.  From the Inputs tab, I am able to see the more informative UI that you included in your screenshot. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "the same one you setup your Account with in the Splunk Add-On."  We have a couple of  AWS accounts that are currently being used by AWS SQS-Based S3 Inputs.  They were setup from the Configuration -> Account page, and appear in the 'AWS Account' drop down.  Presumably, I could setup another account with the appropriate permissions to assume a role, and then specify that account and the role for 'AWS Account' and 'Assume Role', respectively.  However, if an IAM user is required to assume a role, then it probably makes sense to just attach the policy directly to the user since we lose the advantages of using an IAM role.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...