Splunk Cloud Platform

Splunk Cloud does not receive logs

splunkcol
Builder

In the servers that contain the logs I have installed in universal forwarder and I have configured with inputs the path where the logs are and with outputs the ip and the port where these logs should be sent.

I have installed the credential package in heavy forwarder

I have activated port 9997 and I see communication between the servers and the heavy forwarder.

I have doubts in the process of forwarding logs from the heavy forwarder to splunk cloud

if the heavy forwarder points directly to splunk cloud, the "host" field should I put https://xxxxxxxx.splunkcloud.com? and what port? 443 or 9997?

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/8.0.2006/Forwarding/Deployaheavyforwarder

splunk add forward-server <host>:<port> -auth <username>:<password>

I have already created the index with the same name that I defined in the intputs file of the logs source server

I don't see logs coming in, what else do I need to review?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sign in to your Splunk Cloud instance and open the "Universal Forwarder" app.  That app will have a green button labeled "Download Universal Forwarder Credentials".  Click that button and accept the download.  Install the downloaded file on your heavy forwarder and restart it.  You now have everything you need to send data to Splunk Cloud.  Forget about setting host and ports - the app does that for you.

BTW, it's considered best practice to have UFs send directly to Splunk Cloud rather than through a HF.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That will be in the outputs.conf file in the downloaded credentials app, but should be port 9997.

---
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sign in to your Splunk Cloud instance and open the "Universal Forwarder" app.  That app will have a green button labeled "Download Universal Forwarder Credentials".  Click that button and accept the download.  Install the downloaded file on your heavy forwarder and restart it.  You now have everything you need to send data to Splunk Cloud.  Forget about setting host and ports - the app does that for you.

BTW, it's considered best practice to have UFs send directly to Splunk Cloud rather than through a HF.

---

splunkcol
Builder

@richgalloway Through which port does the heavy forwarder communicate with splunk cloud?

0 Karma

splunkcol
Builder

by mistake I put in host the url of splunk cloud and port 9997, I would appreciate how I can revert it?

splunkcol_0-1602628040171.png

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Either edit the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/outputs.conf file or use the remove command.

splunk remove forward-server <host>:<port>
---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...