Splunk Cloud Platform

monitoring vmware with splunk

genapm

I have a VMWare environment with 12 VMWare hosts. 

Currently we are using splunk cloud and we are using splunk agents to forward logs for  windows virtual machines.

Now I want to monitor vmware hosts(mainly performance metrics). I started checking splunk documentation, but I am a little bit confused what should I use. It looks like till now there was an app- Splunk App for Infrastructure that is used to monitor vmware, and now there is some IT Essentials app, and there are some vmware add-ons, not sure where and how they are used.

Could you please guide me what product should I use, does it has separate licenses that need to be purchased.  Because we are using splunk cloud, do I need to install something on-premises in order to monitor vmware and forward to splunk cloud.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

BamBamMantell
Observer

You can use the Splunk Add-on for VMware Metrics - About the Splunk Add-on for VMware Metrics - Splunk Documentation

You deploy the required components, and can configure the collection of inventory and metrics from the vSphere API - and forward logs from Hosts as Syslog into Splunk. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...