Splunk Cloud Platform

What can Splunk Observability do that Splunk Platform (Cloud/Enterprise) can't?

northerngrowth
Engager

Having a hard time understanding what Splunk Observability does that you can't do with Splunk Platform (Cloud or Enterprise)? Aren't you able to take in logs, metrics, and traces and do real-time reporting, monitoring and visualizations with Splunk Platform? And isn't Splunk Platform used to detect and solve issues? Isn't that the same as what Observability does?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!

Labels (3)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are similarities between Splunk Enterprise (SE) and Splunk Observability (SO).  The main distinguishing factor of SO is support for the OpenTelemetry protocol, which SE does not support.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

northerngrowth
Engager

Got it - so to confirm, does that mean that I can set up observability on Splunk Enterprise on my own without having to add on Splunk Observability? Thanks a lot!

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can set up something similar, but it won't do everything SO can do.  For instance, native Splunk Enterprise can't handle data coming in using the OpenTelemetry protocol.  I suppose you could write an OTel collector that converts telemetry into Splunk metrics, but that could be a lot of work.

I'm not familiar enough with SO to know what analytics and visualizations it can do so I can't say if SE can replicate them or not.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...