Splunk Cloud Platform

Splunk Forwarders Buffer size and best practices?

SplunkExplorer
Communicator

Hi Splunkers, I have some doubts about forwarder buffer, both universal and heavy.

The starting point is this: I know that, if an indexer goes down and it is receiving data by a UF,  this has a buffering mechanism to store data and send them to proper destination once it is up and running again. If I'm not wrong, the limits of this buffer can be set on a config file (I don't remeber well wich one). Now, the question are:

1. Even if the answer can be obvious, this mechanism is already available for HF?
2. How can I decide the maximum size of my buffer? is there a pre set limit or it depends on my environments?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

SanjayReddy
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SplunkExplorer 

theses attributes in outputs.conf will take care these 

maxQueueSize
autoLBFrequency
autoLBVolume
useAck

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.7/Admin/Outputsconf 

SanjayReddy_0-1666883578695.png

SanjayReddy_1-1666883655795.png

SanjayReddy_2-1666883753342.png

0 Karma

SplunkExplorer
Communicator

Hi @SanjayReddy , thanks a lot. I didn't remember about the auto fields, I got memories only about useack and maxqueue size, very usefull.

About the max queue size, are there any souces I can use to understand the best/max value I can set in my environments? I ask this because my final question is: what is the max value I can set in maxQueueSize It depends by my hardware availability or there a limit I cannot overwhelm? 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...