Splunk Cloud Platform

Getting permission issue while creating TCP and UDP ports from Splunk Cloud REST api

krishnabv
Explorer

Hello Team,

I am trying to create TCP and UDP ports from Splunk cloud REST api's, but i am getting below permission error.
Please suggest me what permissions i need to change.

<msg type="ERROR">You (user=*****) do not have permission to perform this operation (requires capability: edit_tcp).</msg>

How can i give edit_tcp role to my account.

Thanks,
venkata.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

Roy_9
Motivator

Hey @krishnabv 

Neither the Splunk cloud IDM or SH allow us to create TCP/UDP inputs on their environment.

You could leverage on premise Heavy forwarder to create those inputs and connect that HF to Splunk cloud by deploying the Splunk cloud UF credentials package app on that machine.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

0 Karma

krishnabv
Explorer

Hi Danielcj,

I am using below endpoint to create port in Splunk cloud.

https://sap-is-splunk.splunkcloud.com:8089/servicesNS/*****/search/data/inputs/tcp/raw

Thanks,
Venkata.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

you cannot create TCP/UDP inputs on Splunk Cloud. If you need those, you must set up own HF/UF in OnPrem and add those there. Or even better just set up e.g. SC4S or other Syslog server to take care of TCP inputs.

r. Ismo

danielcj
Communicator

Hello @krishnabv , which endpoint are you using to create these ports on Splunk Cloud?

It should not be allowed to create TCP/UDP inputs on Splunk Cloud since it only accepts connections from forwarders that have the correct SSL certificates and if you want to send data via TCP/UDP sources you should use a forwarder.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...