Security

unable to login to splunk enterprise on my local machine i get invalid username or password

khonzoh
Engager

I downloaded and configured splunk enterprise and mhn app, and I was able to view my data. But I can not login now. I have tried the same username and password, still could not login. Please help

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you didn't change the default username/password, it's admin, changeme. Also check your caps lock key. 🙂

If those don't resolve it, which I expect it won't, then you can reset the passwords of the system if you have local access to it.

NOTE this will do two things - remove ALL usernames and passwords from the system except admin, and will reset the admin password to "changeme".

Linux:
Open a terminal session. Into there type:

cd /opt/splunk/etc/
sudo mv passwd passwd.bak

Then restart your Splunk.

Windows:
Open an elevated command prompt. (Click start, type "command" and when you see "Command Prompt" show up right-click on it and select "Run as administrator). Into there type:

cd \program files\splunk\etc
ren passwd passwd.bak

Let us know if you have any difficulties!

Happy Splunking,
Rich

View solution in original post

somebloke
Engager

I have followed the admin steps multiple times, I can log into my splunk account, yet simply cannot log into splunk enterprises. Not very helpful in the slightest.

somebloke
Engager

This is a frustrating set of affairs, this program seems to not be intuitive and or/sensible. I can log into my splunk account, I have changed my passwords, I have followed these steps numerous times yet splunk enterprise will not let me log in. Bodes well for an assignment due this week does it not?

0 Karma

akhilasivasanka
Engager

For Splunk 7.x.x version and later, try the below.

username = admin
password = The password specified while installation

If you are still unable to login, remove the password file from ****/etc/passwd and reload the enterprise login page and try logging in.

Thanks,

MuS
Legend

Well, this way you would have successfully killed all OS users but not the Splunk users 😉
Next time try $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/passwd instead ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

Reshma_Vidhate

I have followed above mention steps for windows machine. But I am still not able to login for SPlunk Enterprise

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@Reshma_Vidhate if you are trying to install Splunk Enterpris 7.1 it would ask your to reset your password during the installation. So uninstall and reinstall and make a note of updated admin password during installation.

If you want to reset existing password in 7.1, you should refer to following answer by @cbreshears: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/834/how-to-reset-the-admin-password.html

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi, @Reshma_Vidhate,

You would be better served to ask your own Question - a new thread will let everyone work through your problem specifically and is much more likely to get you a good answer.

And it's easy! For the fastest, best answer, include specifics: Splunk version, if there was anything "password related" you did when you installed it (like did you see a prompt for a password? Or did you not?), which platform you are on - Windows or Linux, how exactly are you trying to log in (url involved?) and finally what exactly does it do when you try.

Many thanks,
Rich

0 Karma

Shitiz
Explorer

I am also facing this issue..I followed the above mentioned steps but still getting the error...

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Could you give some details on Splunk version, Windows or Linux, etc?

0 Karma

DonSmith

I too am unable to login on the free enterprise version, even after stopping splunk, renaming passwd, and restarting. I get "No users exist. Please set up a user."

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you didn't change the default username/password, it's admin, changeme. Also check your caps lock key. 🙂

If those don't resolve it, which I expect it won't, then you can reset the passwords of the system if you have local access to it.

NOTE this will do two things - remove ALL usernames and passwords from the system except admin, and will reset the admin password to "changeme".

Linux:
Open a terminal session. Into there type:

cd /opt/splunk/etc/
sudo mv passwd passwd.bak

Windows:
Open an elevated command prompt. (Click start, type "command" and when you see "Command Prompt" show up right-click on it and select "Run as administrator). Into there type:

cd \program files\splunk\etc
ren passwd passwd.bak

Let us know if you have any difficulties!

Happy Splunking,
Rich

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...