Security

Why is Splunk consuming more than 40% of firewall traffic?

marcor70

Hello All,

I'm working in a huge installation and Splunk is consuming more than 40% of firewall traffic.
I don't have details of the Splunk Topology yet, but we have firewall between Splunk Servers and Forwarders.
What is the recommendation to minimize the firewall traffic?

I'll appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks in advance,
MarcoR

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you are onboarding a lot of data from your forwarders then that data will, of course, have to pass through the firewalls.

You have some options:
1) Enable SSL on the connections between forwarders and indexers. This will compress the data on those connections.
2) Set compressed = true in your outputs.conf file. SSL compression is better.
3) Re-evaluate the data being onboarded and remove that which is not needed.
4) Use heavy forwarders to filter or edit events before they are sent to the indexers.
5) Remove the firewalls between forwarders and indexers.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you are onboarding a lot of data from your forwarders then that data will, of course, have to pass through the firewalls.

You have some options:
1) Enable SSL on the connections between forwarders and indexers. This will compress the data on those connections.
2) Set compressed = true in your outputs.conf file. SSL compression is better.
3) Re-evaluate the data being onboarded and remove that which is not needed.
4) Use heavy forwarders to filter or edit events before they are sent to the indexers.
5) Remove the firewalls between forwarders and indexers.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

marcor70

Thanks @richgalloway

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...