Security

Why is Hunk virtual index failing and getting error "ChunkedOutputStreamReader - Invalid header line"?

bayroot22
Engager

I have hunk and hadoop running on the same box - I am able to dfs commands to see files in hdfs as well as run mapreduce all via the command line. However I am unable to run any searches... What does ChunkedOutputStreamReader - invalid header line mean?

In the search log I get the following errors:

ChunkedOutputStreamReader - Invalid header line

[testhadoop] ChunkedOutputStreamReader: Invalid header line="/etc/hadoop/conf:/usr/lib/hadoop/lib/:/usr/lib/hadoop/.//:/usr/lib/hadoop-hdfs/./:/usr/lib/hadoop-hdfs/lib/:/usr/lib/hadoop-hdfs/.//:/usr/lib/hadoop-yarn/lib/:/usr/lib/hadoop-yarn/.//:/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH/lib/hadoop-mapreduce/lib/:/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH/lib/hadoop-mapreduce/.//:/opt/cloudera/parcels/HADOOP_LZO-0.4.15-1.gplextras.p0.76/lib/hadoop/lib/*::/apps/hunk/bin/jars/thirdparty/common/avro-1.7.4.jar:/apps/hunk/bin/jars/thirdparty/common/avro-mapred-1.7.4.jar:/apps/hunk/bin/jars/thirdparty/common/commons-compress-1.5.jar:/apps/hunk/bin/jars/thirdparty/common/commons-io-2.1.jar:/apps/hunk/bin/jars/thirdparty/common/libfb303-0.9.0.jar:/apps/hunk/bin/jars/thirdparty/common/parquet-hive-bundle-1.5.0.jar:/apps/hunk/bin/jars/thirdparty/common/snappy-java-1.0.5.jar:/apps/hunk/bin/jars/thirdparty/hive/hive-exec-0.12.0.jar:/apps/hunk/bin/jars/thirdparty/hive/hive-metastore-0.12.0.jar:/apps/hunk/bin/jars/thirdparty/hive/hive-serde-0.12.0.jar:/apps/hunk/bin/jars/SplunkMR-s6.0-hy2.0.jar"

Then for Java:

ERROR ChunkedOutputStreamReader - Invalid header line="/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_55-cloudera/"

1 Solution

Ledion_Bitincka
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

That is an indication that the HADOOP_HOME/bin/hadoop shell script (which gets invoked for Hunk searches) is writing/logging to stdout what appears to be classpath and JAVA_HOME. What version of Hadoop are you using? Have you by any chance modified HADOOP_HOME/bin/hadoop?

View solution in original post

Ledion_Bitincka
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

That is an indication that the HADOOP_HOME/bin/hadoop shell script (which gets invoked for Hunk searches) is writing/logging to stdout what appears to be classpath and JAVA_HOME. What version of Hadoop are you using? Have you by any chance modified HADOOP_HOME/bin/hadoop?

bayroot22
Engager

You pinpointed the problem!

Ugggh I was echo(ing) paths to standard out so that I could get the right ones for Splunk settings. I commented them out and I can now connect to hdfs without issue.

Thanks very much for your prompt response!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...