Security

Why does the DMC setup fail when the admin account is renamed or deleted?

mkolkebeck
Path Finder

The DMC general setup does not work if you delete or rename the admin account (e.g. via user-seed.conf).

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/User-seedconf

In 6.2, the work-around is to change the owner = nobody for all knowledge objects within the metadata/local.meta file of the splunk_management_console app, and then executing a splunk restart or debug/refresh.

In 6.3, this does not work.
What is the work-around/fix for this issue?

1 Solution

mkolkebeck
Path Finder

Create a new "admin" user account and assign it to a new role that has no privileges.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mkolkebeck
Path Finder

Create a new "admin" user account and assign it to a new role that has no privileges.

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This issue has been identified as a product defect - internal reference: SPL-92633.

The problem is quite simply that some DMC actions (typically, configuration changes) are hard-coded to run lookup-manipulating searches as the "admin" user, which of course fails if the user in question has been renamed.

The work-around (and actually, the fix too) is to leverage the dispatchAs = user property in savedsearches.conf (new to 6.2) which allows a saved search to be run as the invoking user instead of the owning user when called.

Work-around steps:

• Add the dispatchAs = user key to the DMC Asset - Build Full saved search stanza in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_management_console/local/savedsearches.conf
  • Restart Splunk or hit the /debug/refresh UI endpoint
  • Run DMC setup again

mkolkebeck
Path Finder

Thanks hexx. Unfortunately, this workaround/fix did not work for me.

I made the changes per your steps (and removed my local.meta changes), but I continue to get ldap calls for the admin user, and the modal screen does not appear. I also added dispatchAs = user to all of the savedsearches stanzas that are in default, but same thing happened. I even went so far as to add dispatchAs = user to a default stanza in this savedsearches.conf, but still no luck. Also, changing the owner in local.meta to a renamed admin account does not work. Lastly, I removed LDAP authentication, and that did not help.

In addition, the Forwarder Monitoring Setup page does not load when the "admin" user account does not exist.

So far, the only thing that has worked for me is to temporarily add a local "admin" user account.

Is there a log.cfg setting that I can set to DEBUG the calls to which populating lookup search is run, and by what user?

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm sorry to hear this suggested work-around did not function. I would like to strongly encourage you to open a support case so that we can look into this issue in more detail and identify if there is a new defect to be fixed here.

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There was a specific issue with the DMC setup and renamed admin accounts that was fixed in 6.3. Can you describe in detail what interactions with the DMC are no longer working and how that manifests itself?

0 Karma

mkolkebeck
Path Finder

When changing to a Distributed configuration and clicking Apply Changes (with no errors), the Modal screen fails to appear or apply any changes. Only after creating the 'admin' account, the changes apply as expected. Also, splunkd.log shows failed admin ldap logins.

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Actually, I was wrong: The fix for this issue did not make it into 6.3 which explains why you are still seeing it! I will explain how to work around this problem in an answer.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...