Security

Why do users I invite to my Splunk Cloud get 404 errors?

hettervik
Builder

Hi,

I've sat up a Splunk Cloud Trial environment and have started to invite some test users. When I invited the first user he logged onto my Splunk Cloud with his normal Splunk Customer Community user, no problem. A day later or so I invited several other users, but all of them get an 404 error when trying to log onto my Splunk Cloud. All users are following the link from my invitation. Beside myself, the user I invited first still have access to the Splunk Cloud.

Is there a limit on concurrent users for Splunk Cloud Trial? I tried to delete all users, and then invite a single new user to the cloud. Again he got an 404 error. Could it be that there is a limit to the number of invitations I can send from my Splunk Cloud Trial customer portal?

Any help is much appreciated!

0 Karma
1 Solution

hettervik
Builder

To answer my own question, there is apparently no limit on the number of users one can invite to a Splunk Cloud Trial.

We had a similar problem as the one described above when using an instance of a Splunk Cloud Trial at a customer's site. Splunk Support says that "access to the instance is restricted to individuals who have the same domain as the owner of the instance [...]" when we contacted them about the issue. This answers seem to fit well with the problems we where experiencing with the Splunk Cloud Trial at the customer's site, so for now I'll assume this is the reason for the 404 errors. Case closed.

View solution in original post

hettervik
Builder

To answer my own question, there is apparently no limit on the number of users one can invite to a Splunk Cloud Trial.

We had a similar problem as the one described above when using an instance of a Splunk Cloud Trial at a customer's site. Splunk Support says that "access to the instance is restricted to individuals who have the same domain as the owner of the instance [...]" when we contacted them about the issue. This answers seem to fit well with the problems we where experiencing with the Splunk Cloud Trial at the customer's site, so for now I'll assume this is the reason for the 404 errors. Case closed.

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks for coming back with the solution!

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

404 is a page not found issue. It would have nothing to do with user limits, etc. and everything to do with the link you're providing them.

If the link you're providing them "word wraps" / "breaks" across several lines, then they're probably not opening the full URI.

In this case I would screenshare with the users, ask them to do what they did to get the 404 error, and then see that they're doing something silly.

Other issue could be firewall/network related, DNS lookup failure, and more. You need to investigate from the affected user's machines... using nslookup, ping, etc.

0 Karma

hettervik
Builder

Hi,

Thank you for your comment!

The way I distribute the link is through the customer portal. That is, I click "invite users" and the portal sends the invitation for me. If there's is something wrong with the link, then it's Splunk's fault I guess? That being said, we've checked the link for errors, and it looks fine.

When we checked the network traffic on the client trying to accept the invitation using Wireshark we see an "HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily (text/html)[Malformed Packet]" error, not the 404 error that is displayed on the Splunk webpage. Any idea what that means?

Also, if I provide a link to the Splunk Cloud GUI directly, not using the customer portal invite functionality, the user gets an error stating that the user account don't have access to the Splunk Cloud environment. It seems that the user account I invite through the customer portal doesn't get properly registered in the Splunk Cloud at all.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Let's say this is your link

Https://7:@):68:86;96;96,"$,&(8585847;8;$,7.52758(&)/$?&(7;74747:$,7ydigsitsyixogsohdoydlhdohdgkdohd... lhxlhcpufkysnzjgxkgxohfulkxxlgxohdpdoyxlhckgxlhcoycyod

Most email software will malform this link when you click on it. Some users will copy and paste and maybe include double quotes or who knows what. Did you screen share with them and watch them go through the process?

0 Karma

hettervik
Builder

Yes, I have overlooked the process "face-to-face" when users try to get access to the cloud. I will double-check that the link from the mail doesn't get malformed, just to be sure.

I see now that I also get a 404 error when trying to access my own "instances" page under "my account" on Splunk. I'm not sure, but to me it looks like there could be something wrong with the Splunk web servers.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I believe you should submit a support ticket then.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...