Security

Why are my role-based search filters are not being applied?

chustar
Path Finder

I created a role to manage data access for users in a certain LDAP group called role-user.
This role has a search filter:
I then created a new user account called, role-user-test, in order to verify that this role works correctly.
I made sure that the search filter had been applied is visible to the user by doing the search specified here.

+----------------+--------+-------------------------------+ 
| title          | roles        | search filter           |
| role-user-test |role-user; user | "| search Location=SAX_*" |

However, when I logged in as that user and tried searches, it doesn't seem to be applying the search filter to the user's query at all!
The results I see in searches, reports and dashboards still contain results that should have been filtered out.
I also tried specifying the search filter different ways, e.g. "Location=SAX_"
Are there other configurations for using search filters that I could be missing?

Thanks.

0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you just try putting in only the search terms ie

Location="SAX_*"

Once you run the search check the job inspector to see what's the final search Splunk executed (normalizedSearch OR remoteSearch)

Happy Splunking!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you just try putting in only the search terms ie

Location="SAX_*"

Once you run the search check the job inspector to see what's the final search Splunk executed (normalizedSearch OR remoteSearch)

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...