Security

Why am I unable to access my Splunk login screen and just get the message "This page can't be displayed"?

mhouse3
Path Finder

Today when I went to log into my Splunk as admin on the main page, after using Splunk for the past 90+ days, it stated that the version of Splunk was outdated and I needed to update it with the latest version of Splunk. I started to do that until it got to a point where it said it was unsuccessful due to lack of administrative privileges. After seeing that, I clicked the button to cancel out and go back to what I have. Now that I did that, when I go to my main login page at 8000, I get the “This page can’t be displayed” screen. What happened? How can I fix this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi mhouse3, I'd open up the services snapin (services.msc) and check that the Splunk service is in a started state. Something about the aborted upgrade step might have left it in a stopped state.

Past that, check out the splunkd.log at $SPLUNK_HOME\var\log\splunk\splunkd.log for any clue as to what is going on with the installation.

If this is a production instance, you'll want to open up a ticket with support, and run '$SPLUNK_HOME\bin\splunk.exe diag' so they can examine what is going on.

Please let me know if this answers your question!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi mhouse3, I'd open up the services snapin (services.msc) and check that the Splunk service is in a started state. Something about the aborted upgrade step might have left it in a stopped state.

Past that, check out the splunkd.log at $SPLUNK_HOME\var\log\splunk\splunkd.log for any clue as to what is going on with the installation.

If this is a production instance, you'll want to open up a ticket with support, and run '$SPLUNK_HOME\bin\splunk.exe diag' so they can examine what is going on.

Please let me know if this answers your question!

0 Karma

mhouse3
Path Finder

BTW this is a full production instance that is installed on my machine.

0 Karma

mhouse3
Path Finder

Wow that was fast. I am very new to using Splunk so hence my follow up question.

how exactly do I open up the services snapin (services.msc) and check that the Splunk service is in a started state.

BTW I went to /Program Files/Splunk/ path and did a search for the file name services.msc and it was not found.

0 Karma

mhouse3
Path Finder

Good idea. Don't know why I did not think of that.

When I did that and selected "run" a window popped up that said Windows could not start the Splunkd Service on Local Computer.

Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

I get the same error when I try and run either of the two.

0 Karma

mhouse3
Path Finder

I am good now. I just went to Splunk.com and upgraded to the latest version of Splunk and that got it running.

0 Karma

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

press the windows key and type services.msc in the search box to pull it up, or otherwise go to the control panel. This is services for windows

The service name will be something along the lines of Splunk. There might be a "splunkweb" service, but that is legacy and you can ignore it.

0 Karma

mhouse3
Path Finder

Found it:
Splunkd Service - Status is blank & Startup Type is Automatic
splunkweb (legacy purposes only) - Status is blank & Startup Type is Automatic

It appears that it is not in a started state. If this assessment is correct how do to start it? Also from which path (folder) do I run the command from?

0 Karma

mhouse3
Path Finder

Right clicking does not work. Everything is grayed out except properties after I right click on it.

0 Karma

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

try right-clicking and running the services app as administrator

0 Karma

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

should be able to rightclick on it and select start. As for a powershell command, check out "start-service"

You'll want to run this from an administrative powershell shell. It won't matter which directory you are in.

0 Karma

mhouse3
Path Finder

That was too easy. On both I assume.....

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...