Security

When trying to upgrade to 6.5.2, why am I unable to establish SSL connection via wget?

chrishartsock
Path Finder

I am trying to upgrade one of our Splunk servers from 6.5.1 to 6.5.2. The way we usually do this is wget to get the rpm file, but when I run:

sudo wget -O splunk-6.5.2-67571ef4b87d-linux-2.6-x86_64.rpm 'https://www.splunk.com/bin/splunk/DownloadActivityServlet?architecture=x86_64&platform=linux&version=6.5.2&product=splunk&filename=splunk-6.5.2-67571ef4b87d-linux-2.6-x86_64.rpm&wget=true'

I get the following:

--2017-02-01 10:31:55--  https://www.splunk.com/bin/splunk/DownloadActivityServlet?architecture=x86_64&platform=linux&version...
Resolving www.splunk.com (www.splunk.com)... 54.xxx.xx.196, 54.xxx.xx.56, 54.xxx.xx.242, ...
Connecting to www.splunk.com (www.splunk.com)|54.xxx.xx.196|:443... connected.
Unable to establish SSL connection.

Again, we have done this many times in the past with no issue. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

chrishartsock
Path Finder

@jtacy thank you for the response, but it turns out it was a firewall bugging out on hour side.

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Karma

chrishartsock
Path Finder

@jtacy thank you for the response, but it turns out it was a firewall bugging out on hour side.

Thanks

0 Karma

jtacy
Builder

Would you happen to be using an old operating system like RHEL5? I don't know when the config changed but the Splunk download servers now seem to require that clients have TLS SNI support. That's not really a big deal for newer clients but it doesn't look like this was in the OpenSSL release in RHEL5, as one example. The site seems to insist on HTTPS so you might be stuck scp'ing the file over to your systems unless you want to locate or build a wget or curl binary that's statically-linked to a more recent OpenSSL version. Maybe Splunk will share a non-HTTPS download location!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...