Security

What would be the recommended Log Levels for the different Audit Log channels?

edwinmae
Path Finder

Hi All,

This is more a general inquiry

I noticed that the _audit index collects a lot of activity, but it's not really telling in detail what actually has been done (if anything at all) .. edit user / edit role / edit index / remove ...

edwinmae_0-1665395244885.png

What would be the recommended Log Levels for the different Audit Log channels?

If  I would like to see in details what has been changed for a certain index, what Log channel(s) and what Log Level(s) would result in showing that information?

Note, that in our environment any changes to indexes are done  in the (Linux) server directly, not using the UI

Thanks in advance!

Edwin

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk audit log is known to be weak in some respects and I don't know that changing the log level will help.

Changes made outside the UI (or REST API) do not appear in the audit log that won't help you track changes to the indexes.

Consider upgrading to Splunk 9.x and enabling the Configuration Tracker.  It will log changes to pretty much any .conf file and log them to the _configtracker index.  Unfortunately, even Config Tracker does not specify which person made the change.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...