Security

What would be a good quota base for user, power and admin roles?

danielbb
Motivator

We would like to reassess and set a good base line for the user, power and admin roles. Meaning, setting reasonable quotas for Restrict search time range, User-level concurrent search jobs limit , User-level concurrent real-time search jobs limit, Role-level concurrent search jobs limit, Role-level concurrent real-time search jobs limit and Limit total jobs disk quota.

How should we go about it?

Tags (3)
0 Karma

ivanreis
Builder

I would keep the default quotas and doing the adjustments according to customer behaviour. For example, if you have a lot of customers running real-time searches and your hardware is getting too much load, you have to limit the real-time searches for those users or get more powerful hardware to process them. I worked on a company where customers are using too much disk to process their reports(triggering several ad-hoc reports at the same time)and it was getting all the free disk space available on the server, so we have to create a new role and adjust the disk user quota to those users to prevent disk space issues.

danielbb
Motivator

Makes sense - the default quotas are in authorize.conf, right?

0 Karma

ivanreis
Builder

That is correct. You can also setup it at role level from web interface go to menu settings/user and authentication, select the role you want o change it and select resources tab.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What's wrong with the default quotas?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...