Security

What is the REST API Post command to append existing native user's role?

harshal_chakran
Builder

Hi all,
Is there any REST API command to add/append single or multiple roles to specific user.

For e.g. user "SplunkUser" is already present in Splunk with role assigned to it as "role1".

Which REST API command should be run to add roles "role2" and "role3" to User "SplunkUser".

Following command I been running, but it replaces the existing role with new roles and not appending it.

curl -k -u username:password     <hostdetails>/services/authentication/users/SplunkUser -d roles="role2" -d roles="role3"

Please help..!!!

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @harshal_chakranarayan,

Have a look at the rest reference sheet for access control configuration :

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.6/RESTREF/RESTaccess

I think you're looking for this endpoint specifically :
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.6/RESTREF/RESTaccess#admin.2FProxySSO-user-role-map

Cheers,
David

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

AFAIK, there is no append option in that. I believe what you could do is to use the GET request for same endpoint to get currently assigned role and then pass that as one of the -d roles=... parameter (assuming you're doing it programmatically).

0 Karma

harshal_chakran
Builder

Hi, thanks for replying.
Yeah, Didn't find any mentioned in Splunk Docs on direct rest command for update.
Will have to solve this by firing GET command first, then append with new roles via program/script and fire the results in POST command..
I wish there was any simpler way.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...