Security

What capability allows you to search /services/authentication/users?

pkeller
Contributor

I want to grant access to a non-admin role to: | rest /services/authentication/users, but am not sure what capability that requires.
I've granted the role rest_apps_management but that didn't seem to do the trick.

0 Karma
1 Solution

starcher
Influencer

I would not recommend giving out direct api access. as @somesoni2 suggested it might give more than you want. I would use a scheduled search like the below to maintain a table and give them permissions to that.

| rest /services/authentication/users | table title, realname, roles, type, capabilities | mvexpand capabilities | rename title as username | outputlookup splunk_user_access.csv

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sbattista09
Contributor

is there a index filed you can add as will to show what indexes they have access to?

0 Karma

starcher
Influencer

I would not recommend giving out direct api access. as @somesoni2 suggested it might give more than you want. I would use a scheduled search like the below to maintain a table and give them permissions to that.

| rest /services/authentication/users | table title, realname, roles, type, capabilities | mvexpand capabilities | rename title as username | outputlookup splunk_user_access.csv
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try with change_authentication capability. Please note that this may provide additional access than just GET on /services/authentication/users.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...