Security

What capabilities are needed for a non-admin user to update Server Classes and Clients in Settings -> Forwarder Management

wrangler2x
Motivator

We've got a special role for non-admin security team members and I'd like some of them to be able to use Forwarder Management (in the Settings menu) to add new clients to a Server Class. I can't figure out what the required Capabilities are that need to be added to their role.

0 Karma

srauhala_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Creating a specific role to manage deployment servers  serverclass  I experienced the same issue with 

User 'ds_user' with roles { ds_role, ds_user, user } cannot write: /nobody/system/serverclass/serverClass:My_server_class:app:my_app/restartSplunkWeb { read : [ * ], write : [ admin ] }, removable: no

The ds_role has the capabilities:
edit_deployment_client,
edit_deployment_server,
list_deployment_client
list_deployment_server

To be able to add an app to a serverclass the only option was to give the capability admin_all_objects. Which effectively would make ds_role users admins.  

To avoid this our workaround was to edit /opt/splunk/etc/system/metadata/local.meta to grant write privilege for ds_role to serverclass objects

#On Deployment Server
#/opt/splunk/etc/system/metadata/local.meta
[serverclass]
access = write : [ admin, ds_role ]
export = system

0 Karma

Rob2520
Communicator

I personally never gave that capability to anyone. But you could try edit_deployment_client, edit_deployment_server, list_deployment_server capabilities.

0 Karma

wrangler2x
Motivator

I downvoted this post because not working fully as it should.

0 Karma

wrangler2x
Motivator

With the three I mentioned above, he was able to add systems to the whitelist of clients in a Server Class, and he was able to create a new Server Class. However, he was not able to add an application to the new Server Class. I added back in the edit_deployment_client but this made no difference. It throws the following error when you try to save after editing settings and a similar one when trying to add an app:

User 'cinders' with roles { cinders, user, user_oit_security } cannot write: /nobody/system/serverclass/serverClass:OIT_SC_winevent_index_ADFS:app:OIT_DA_winevent_index_ADFS/restartSplunkWeb { read : [ * ], write : [admin ] }, removable: no
0 Karma

kscher
Path Finder

I have the same issue. It looks like the "edit_deployment_server" capability should confer this permission, but it doesn't. It looks like this could be worked-around by editing some metadata (which one, I wonder, $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/metadata/local.meta?), and adding the proper role at some level. But I don't want to mess with that. I want the capability to work the way you'd expect.

0 Karma

emallinger
Communicator

Hello,

I wonder if there is an answer to that question ?

I'm stuck on it as well.

Thanks,

Ema

0 Karma

wrangler2x
Motivator

In order to edit the Server Classes you need to have edit_deployment_server turned on. This allows creating/editing Server Classes, adding an app to the Server Class, and editing the client list. I did not have to enable edit_deployment_client for these functions, which is what I want this person to do be able to do, so I have left that off. I also enabled list_deployment_client and list_deployment_server.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...