Security

What are the security differences between Splunk Enterprise and Splunk Cloud?

ema

I'd like to know from a security's perspective, what are the differences between Splunk Cloud and Splunk Enterprise version? Are they both PCI-DSS and HIPAA compliant? Are there any customers that use both Splunk Cloud and Enterprise on prem?

0 Karma
1 Solution

pgreer_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk Cloud (managed service) is nearing PCI and HIPAA compliance, we're getting close.

Keep an eye out on http://www.splunk.com/en_us/products/splunk-cloud.html for more information in the future on compliance.

There are many customers that utilize Cloud as well as On-Prem independently and some as well that perform hybrid (searching across on-prem and cloud).

For PCI and HIPAA compliance for on-prem, that is up to the customer. The Splunk core software is by itself not something that fits a compliance criteria as there is much more to compliance than just the software package (processes, procedures, reporting, auditing, security, roles and responsibilities, etc. etc. etc.).

View solution in original post

0 Karma

blasmoreno
Explorer

I too would like to know the technical differences between Splunk ES and Cloud.  For instance are all the  Splunk ES features and capabilities embedded in Splunk Cloud?  If not then what ES features are missing in Cloud?  I can't seem to find any definitive literature on the subject and I am a new Splunk user/admin.  

0 Karma

aaraneta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@ema@costco.com - Did the answer provided by pgreer help provide a solution to your question? If yes, please don't forget to resolve this post by clicking "Accept". If no, please leave a comment with more feedback. Thanks!

0 Karma

mjoseff_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi, Ema, it looks like parts two and three of your questions are answered below; regarding part one, are there specific aspects of security you are curious about? Are you asking about the deployment (cloud vs on-prem) aspects or wondering if the software differs?

0 Karma

pgreer_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk Cloud (managed service) is nearing PCI and HIPAA compliance, we're getting close.

Keep an eye out on http://www.splunk.com/en_us/products/splunk-cloud.html for more information in the future on compliance.

There are many customers that utilize Cloud as well as On-Prem independently and some as well that perform hybrid (searching across on-prem and cloud).

For PCI and HIPAA compliance for on-prem, that is up to the customer. The Splunk core software is by itself not something that fits a compliance criteria as there is much more to compliance than just the software package (processes, procedures, reporting, auditing, security, roles and responsibilities, etc. etc. etc.).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...