Splunk Enterprise

Why am I unable to login to freshly installed Splunk Enterprise (just reloads login page)?

dsalazar1

On a fresh Splunk Enterprise install, I cannot log in to the web GUI. When I get the password wrong, I am told it is wrong. When I get the password right, it just reloads the login page.

Here are the symptoms:
- Fresh Install of Splunk 8.0.1 (Have also tried 8.0.0 and 7.3.4)
- During startup, I have set a strong password (another post mentioned in 7.1+ it enforces strong passwords, so I tried this)
- No errors on install
- From web GUI (localhost:8000), when I try my username and password, the login screen simply reloads. When I try a known incorrect password, I get a notification that "Login Failed." So, I am led to believe that my password declared during install is actually recognized since I am not told the login failed when I enter the correct password...but I can't get past the login page.

Here's what I have tried so far:
-Uninstalled and reinstalled Splunk Enterprise 8.01, 8.00, and 7.3.4.
-Tried weak and strong passwords.
-Tried default admin / changeme combo. But again, when I get the password wrong, I am told it is wrong. When I get the password right, it just reloads the login page.
- Tried to reset admin password by renaming /etc/passwd to /etc/passwd.bak and then creating a new file called user-seed.conf in /etc/system/local with [user_info] PASSWORD = "my strong password"
- Also tried to reset password with "splunk cmd splunkd rest -noauth POST /services/admin/users/admin "password=changeme"

I am running on Windows 10. Of note, I have run Splunk 8.0.0 on this laptop before. I had the 60 day trial, switched to the free license group, but when I did that I had license violations leftover from when I used it is the 60 day trial. Since I was not able to search because of the violations, I re-installed from scratch (I didn't have much data ingested so I didnt mind) but this is when I stopped being able to login and have had this issue ever since. When I uninstall Splunk I verify that there are no files left in C:\Program Files. (i.e. no Splunk directory anymore)

Has anyone seen this issue before? Anyone know a way past it?

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

Monstah54

I'm having the same issue.

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Monstah54 - Have you tried using a different browser, most likely it could be browser cache issue.

I hope this helps!!!

0 Karma

Janaji
Observer

Clearing cache on the browser solved this issue for me.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...