Splunk Enterprise

Why am I unable to login to freshly installed Splunk Enterprise (just reloads login page)?

dsalazar1

On a fresh Splunk Enterprise install, I cannot log in to the web GUI. When I get the password wrong, I am told it is wrong. When I get the password right, it just reloads the login page.

Here are the symptoms:
- Fresh Install of Splunk 8.0.1 (Have also tried 8.0.0 and 7.3.4)
- During startup, I have set a strong password (another post mentioned in 7.1+ it enforces strong passwords, so I tried this)
- No errors on install
- From web GUI (localhost:8000), when I try my username and password, the login screen simply reloads. When I try a known incorrect password, I get a notification that "Login Failed." So, I am led to believe that my password declared during install is actually recognized since I am not told the login failed when I enter the correct password...but I can't get past the login page.

Here's what I have tried so far:
-Uninstalled and reinstalled Splunk Enterprise 8.01, 8.00, and 7.3.4.
-Tried weak and strong passwords.
-Tried default admin / changeme combo. But again, when I get the password wrong, I am told it is wrong. When I get the password right, it just reloads the login page.
- Tried to reset admin password by renaming /etc/passwd to /etc/passwd.bak and then creating a new file called user-seed.conf in /etc/system/local with [user_info] PASSWORD = "my strong password"
- Also tried to reset password with "splunk cmd splunkd rest -noauth POST /services/admin/users/admin "password=changeme"

I am running on Windows 10. Of note, I have run Splunk 8.0.0 on this laptop before. I had the 60 day trial, switched to the free license group, but when I did that I had license violations leftover from when I used it is the 60 day trial. Since I was not able to search because of the violations, I re-installed from scratch (I didn't have much data ingested so I didnt mind) but this is when I stopped being able to login and have had this issue ever since. When I uninstall Splunk I verify that there are no files left in C:\Program Files. (i.e. no Splunk directory anymore)

Has anyone seen this issue before? Anyone know a way past it?

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

Monstah54

I'm having the same issue.

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Monstah54 - Have you tried using a different browser, most likely it could be browser cache issue.

I hope this helps!!!

0 Karma

Janaji
Observer

Clearing cache on the browser solved this issue for me.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...