Security

Unable to execute commands on CLI splunk

mmohiuddin1512
Explorer

Hi All:

I am unable to execute any commands on CLI Splunk Instance. Whenever I try to execute any commands the screen freezes. I can navigate to folders without any latency issues, the issue is with executing splunk commands. For instance, I am executing command on the CLI to change the default splunk admin password and the screen freezes.

./splunk edit user admin -password 'foo' -auth admin:changeme

Any assistance will be appreciated.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

It is prompting you for user password so add this to the end of your commands that do this:

... -auth splunk:changeme
0 Karma

mmohiuddin1512
Explorer

Could you please post the complete command.

Does it need to be:

./splunk edit user admin -password 'foo' -auth admin:changeme

./splunk edit user admin -password 'foo' -role admin -auth admin:changeme

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

./splunk edit user admin -password newPassowrd  -auth admin:changeme 
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

This assumes that you have not (yet) changed the default password.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

This is windows, right? You need to open your app ( cmd or whatever; I use mobaXterm) as Admin (right click and select Run as administrator ).

0 Karma

mmohiuddin1512
Explorer

This is not windows. This is on Linux.

0 Karma

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

Does it ever come back and respond? What are you doing to get back and run another command?
Other non splunk commands run fine on the machine? Check the health of the machine? Disk, memory etc..,

0 Karma

mmohiuddin1512
Explorer

Apparently, there is no resource constraint on the servers. They were rebooted. Also I am able to execute the following commands without any difficulty ./splunk status, ./splunk restart ./splunk version etc. I am having problem issuing command to modify the default splunk admin credentials or list the monitoring inputs , i.e ./splunk list monitor. These commands just hang and do not provide any response. I have stopped the splunk universal forwarder service on these servers and started them back up and then issued the commands ( for modifying password , listing file monitors) but the commands hang up and do not respond

0 Karma

mmohiuddin1512
Explorer

We are using splunk universal forwarder version 6.6.1

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...