Security

Tags Disappear When Changing Permissions

mmclain1
Explorer

I created a tag with a field value pair of host=server1* called test. Everything works great until I try to change the permissions on it so my colleagues can use it. I set the permission from Private to App where everyone can read it and only admin can write. When I save this change, the Tag name disappears, but the field value pair remains.
When I click the field value pair to edit the tags associated with it, I re-add the test tag, save, but the Tag Name area is still blank. What gives?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

emiller42
Motivator

Were you trying to use a wildcard in the tag? (%2A = *)

[host=server1*]
test = enabled

That's not something you can do in tags. Each host=value pair must be explicitly defined. So if you have server10, server11, server12, then you need three separate tags defined.

[host=server10]
test = enabled

[host=server11]
test = enabled

[host=server12]
test = enabled

Yes, this sucks when you have a lot of servers.

View solution in original post

emiller42
Motivator

Were you trying to use a wildcard in the tag? (%2A = *)

[host=server1*]
test = enabled

That's not something you can do in tags. Each host=value pair must be explicitly defined. So if you have server10, server11, server12, then you need three separate tags defined.

[host=server10]
test = enabled

[host=server11]
test = enabled

[host=server12]
test = enabled

Yes, this sucks when you have a lot of servers.

mmclain1
Explorer

Ah, that explains it. Thanks!

mmclain1
Explorer

/opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/local/tags.conf:
[host=server1%2A]
test = enabled

Nothing in the other file.

Also, when I go to "List by tag name", there are no tags listed...

0 Karma

emiller42
Motivator

What are you seeing in tags.conf? Look in both the etc/apps//local folder and etc/users///local.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...