Security

Splunk log4j

KIMBYEONGGON

We are using splunk version 6.2.4.

Recently, I received a call saying that a vulnerability was also found in the 1.2.xx version of log4j.

log4j-1.2.14jar and log4j-1.2.15jar files were found on splunk.

I want to know if that jar file is used and if it is vulnerable to security.

thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

first your splunk installation is quite old and out of support. You should plan to update it to supported versions as soon as possible. Oldest supported version is currently 8.1.x. Unfortunately you need some middle versions to reach this target level, which are not available from splunk.com any more. You must contact to Splunk support and ask if they could give those to you.

The current knowledge is the core splunk is used log4j only for DFS and if that is not in use then there shouldn't be an issue. BUT as your version is out of support, I'm not sure if Splunk has verified that for your version (probably not). 

Here is Splunk's information about this vulnerability:

My personal proposal to you is: try to update your splunk to current one as soon as possible.

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...