Security

Splunk is not starting on indexer

Prakash493
Communicator

Hi , i have an issue our one of indexer goes down because it says unable to start because splunk is unable to read the file from following location. Please check the permissions.

Is it really a permission issue if splunk is unable to read a file from a directory ?

0 Karma
1 Solution

skalliger
Motivator

Did you install Splunk as root and are trying to start it with another user now? Are all files owned by the correct user? Without further information, we can only guess.

Skalli

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ashwinm
Explorer

We need to make sure that the permissions are given for the splunk user and splunk is running as a splunk user rather than a root user.

0 Karma

vishaltaneja070
Motivator

Hello @Prakash493

1. Splunk setup is on Linux?
  2. Splunk is running by which user?
0 Karma

skalliger
Motivator

Did you install Splunk as root and are trying to start it with another user now? Are all files owned by the correct user? Without further information, we can only guess.

Skalli

0 Karma

Prakash493
Communicator

Yes installed by admin and i am user but before i am able to start and stop not now

0 Karma

Prakash493
Communicator

Correct i changed as a user and performed as root and everythink works fine

0 Karma

nvanderwalt_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If Splunk was started as root at any time, some files will now belong to root, and you will have to chown everything in the Splunk install directory back to the user that is supposed to own it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...