Security

Splunk as a web application security tool

logjam01
Engager

I am relatively new to Splunk as it is really used.

My previous usage has all been ad hoc when it was made available to me for log analysis after an "event". That usage was mostly the equivalent of egrep + regular expressions.  Splunk and I got the job done.

I am finally in a place where all the features of Splunk are being ( or are intended to be ) used. 

I am being asked if Splunk can function as a web application security testing tool - ala BurpSuite or ZAP or Nikto or the like.

My take is no - that Splunk can perform analysis functions after the fact that can potentially reveal and alert on web application security issues - but it is not a substitute for dedicated tools of the sort previously mentioned.

Have I got this right?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @logjam01,

Splunk isn't a scanner, Splunk is a log management and a correlation system system (in addition to an infinity of other things) so you can use it to tale the results of a scan and correlate them with its informations about different systems.

e.g.: Splunk Mission Control integrates Tenable.io to have the scan results in the same interface.

You should understand the features of Splunk to understand what to do with him and what to do integrating a different tool.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @logjam01,

Splunk isn't a scanner, Splunk is a log management and a correlation system system (in addition to an infinity of other things) so you can use it to tale the results of a scan and correlate them with its informations about different systems.

e.g.: Splunk Mission Control integrates Tenable.io to have the scan results in the same interface.

You should understand the features of Splunk to understand what to do with him and what to do integrating a different tool.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...