I just installed Splunk Enterprise 6.0 and all went swimmingly. However, my connection is refused when trying to go to it in my browser. What am I missing?
Splunk> 4TW Checking prerequisites... Checking http port : open Checking mgmt port : open Checking configuration... Done. Creating: /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk Creating: /opt/splunk/var/run/splunk Creating: /opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/appserver/i18n Creating: /opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/appserver/modules/static/css Creating: /opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/upload Creating: /opt/splunk/var/spool/splunk Creating: /opt/splunk/var/spool/dirmoncache Creating: /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/authDb Creating: /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/hashDb Checking critical directories... Done Checking indexes... Validated: _audit _blocksignature _internal _thefishbucket history main summary Done New certs have been generated in '/opt/splunk/etc/auth'. Checking filesystem compatibility... Done Checking conf files for typos... Done All preliminary checks passed. Starting splunk server daemon (splunkd)... Done [ OK ] Starting splunkweb... Generating certs for splunkweb server Generating a 1024 bit RSA private key ........++++++ ...............++++++ writing new private key to 'privKeySecure.pem' ----- Signature ok subject=/CN=localhost.localdomain/O=SplunkUser Getting CA Private Key writing RSA key [ OK ] Done If you get stuck, we're here to help. Look for answers here: http://docs.splunk.com The Splunk web interface is at http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8000
Check your management port numbers.
Taking the fact that it worked fine with firewall disabled, I think you just need to open the right port for this. In this case, 8000.
Here is a good port digram
Check that you've got the protocol, host name, port correct in the browser. If wrong, correct and try again.
Check that you can establish a connection, e.g. telnet to the host and port. If not, talk to network administration to fix.
That being said, go grab 6.3 - it's significantly improved over 6.0.
I stopped the firewall and it worked fine - so something in my firewall settings is doing this.
I am trying to help a customer using our app and they aren't willing to upgrade to 6.3 yet for some reason - so I'm trying ti troubleshoot the older version with them. I'm just running 6.0 in a VM for these purposes.