Security

Splunk Configuration of Password encryption and Complexity

rogerroger

I am trying to determine how SPLUNK passwords are stored using one way encryption. I am also trying to determine if I can change the SPLUNK complexity passwords requirements for users.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There's a setting in authentication.conf: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.2/Admin/Authenticationconf

passwordHashAlgorithm = [SHA512-crypt|SHA256-crypt|SHA512-crypt-<num_rounds>|SHA256-crypt-<num_rounds>|MD5-crypt]

I believe the password requirements with built-in authentication is limited to requiring a certain length (same .conf):

minPasswordLength = <positive integer>

For more sophisticated complexity requirements you should use external authentication, such as Active Directory.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There's a setting in authentication.conf: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.2/Admin/Authenticationconf

passwordHashAlgorithm = [SHA512-crypt|SHA256-crypt|SHA512-crypt-<num_rounds>|SHA256-crypt-<num_rounds>|MD5-crypt]

I believe the password requirements with built-in authentication is limited to requiring a certain length (same .conf):

minPasswordLength = <positive integer>

For more sophisticated complexity requirements you should use external authentication, such as Active Directory.

msmith4

Best thing you can do there is SHA256-crypt-1000000 . This makes it almost impossible to guess passwords unless you have "Welcome-2016".

In our case we did not have the slow downs mentioned in the doc.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...