Security

Splunk Certificates renewal

siva_cg
Path Finder

Hi Team,

We have distributed environment with Search Heads and Indexers clustered and running on 6.5.2 version. We are using self signed SSL certificates for the communication between the servers and web.

Few of my web connection certificates are expiring. So, I thought of renewing the certificates. Now, my question is, if I renew only web certificates or server to server certificates, will there be any impact on other connections?

As I don't have any knowledge on SSL certificates (challenging it for the first time), I want to make sure, I am not breaking anything.

Thanks in advance.

0 Karma

mbadhusha_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey Siva,

You can run the btool command to identify the locations of the SSL certificates (for both splunkweb & encryption between forwarders & indexers) and replace them with the new ones.

$ splunk btool web list --debug
$ splunk btool server list --debug

You need to find the path of the certificates from the above command's output and replace them with the new certificates. You need to generate new Selft-signed certificates by following the below splunk doc.

For SplunkWeb: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/Security/Self-signcertificatesforSplunkWeb
For Data encryption: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/Security/ConfigureSplunkforwardingtousesignedcert...

Hope the above helps!

Cheers.

0 Karma

p_gurav
Champion
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...