Security

Securely restrict access to index

frenchy198588

Is there any way in Splunk to allow an app which creates an index be the only app that's allowed to change permissions for it?

Say I have an app: app 1 which has an index index1 and the app has an authorize.conf with the following stanza

[role_special_user]
srchIndexesAllowed = index1

What's to stop someone uploading a new app with their own authorize.conf to grant them access to my suposidly secure index

[role_user]
srchIndexesAllowed = index1

Our platform team is not necesserily allowed to see the data in the indexes we have, but they need to be able to administer Splunk including adding applications etc. How should I be correctly implementing access controls or is this just not possible in Splunk?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

afx
Contributor

I do not think this is possible.
Usually SIEM Systems are not managed by the platform teams but by the SIEM group themselves.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...