Security

SSO works with anything but REMOTE_USER

Wilcooley
Path Finder

This is maddening but at this point, I know how to work around it but not why I am seeing it. I am setting up SSO and, as far as I can tell, REMOTE_USER is being ignored or scrubbed within splunkweb. Splunk is 4.3.2; I think I saw pretty much the same behaviour when I was first setting up SSO on another host a couple of years ago; it was 4.0 or 4.1 at the time.

I have looked at a number of the other questions related to this topic and some seem to kinda dance around this issue (notice the bits at the bottom about REMOTE-USER):

how-do-i-make-single-sign-on-work-with-mod_proxy

Does anybody know what's going on here? I have a working setup now, but I believe this is a bug that causes more than a little confusion.

I have Apache with mod_proxy setup to reverse-proxy the requests to localhost:8000. Through several methods, I have it passing 4 HTTP request headers: Cas-User, REMOTE-USER, REMOTE_USER and X-Forwarded-User. I have verified this with tcpdump:

# tcpdump -s0 -A -i lo port 8000
GET /en-US/debug/sso HTTP/1.1
Host: localhost:8000
Cache-Control: max-age=0
Pragma: no-cache
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.162 Safari/535.19
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate,sdch
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.8
Accept-Charset: UTF-8,*;q=0.5
Cookie: MOD_AUTH_CAS=***; session_id_8000=***
CAS-User: wcooley
REMOTE_USER: wcooley
REMOTE-USER: wcooley
X-Forwarded-User: wcooley
Via: 1.1 splunkhost.example.com
X-Forwarded-For: x.x.x.x
X-Forwarded-Host: splunkhost.example.com
X-Forwarded-Server: splunkhost.example.com
Connection: Keep-Alive

trustedIP in both server.conf and web.conf are 127.0.0.1.

If remoteUser in web.conf is set to Cas-User, REMOTE-USER or X-Forwarded-User, SSO works. The SSO debug has, for example:

Remote User HTTP Header Cas-User
Value of Cas-User   wcooley

If remoteUser is set to REMOTE_USER or is unset (yes, I tested both), then SSO does not work:

Remote User HTTP Header REMOTE_USER
Value of REMOTE_USER    Not set. SSO may not be enabled or you may not be accessing Splunk via your proxy server.

And I am redirected to the login page for other requests. Also, "Other HTTP Headers" has the following:

Accept  text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Charset  UTF-8,*;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding gzip,deflate,sdch
Accept-Language en-US,en;q=0.8
Cas-User        wcooley
Connection      Keep-Alive
Cookie  ...
Host    localhost:8000
Remote-Addr     127.0.0.1
Remote-User     wcooley
User-Agent      Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.162 Safari/535.19
Via     1.1 splunkserver.example.com
X-Forwarded-For x.x.x.x
X-Forwarded-Host        splunkserver.example.com
X-Forwarded-Server      splunkserver.example.com
X-Forwarded-User        wcooley

Notice that REMOTE_USER is not set, but REMOTE-USER is. I tried separately disabling REMOTE_USER and REMOTE-USER, but in all three cases (both enabled, only one of each enabled) the result appears to be the same.

Just to ensure that my mod_auth_cas SSO provider wasn't secretly doing something obnoxious, I switched to basic auth in Apache, with the same results (except, of course, Cas-User wasn't included in the headers).

*whew*

vidyadharms

I am trying SSO using IIS 8.5 as reverse proxy, ARR v3.0 and URL rewrite Module 2 however when I hit the IIS page, it redirets me to Splunk login page and SSO does't work.

I could see below lines in web_services.log file.
2016-09-13 04:34:07,611 INFO [57d7e42f9addec85acc0] decorators:383 - require_login - redirecting to login
2016-09-13 04:53:36,280 INFO [57d7e8c046ddec85a128] decorators:362 - require_login - no splunkd sessionKey variable set; cherrypy_session=3a5162816f62d2fc5a7fa1ce48d872b83ee94e20 request_path=/en-US/
2016-09-13 04:53:36,282 INFO [57d7e8c046ddec85a128] decorators:383 - require_login - redirecting to login

Also in SSO debug page of splunk, I see a blank value for X-Remote-User header variable.

Can someone help me to resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

0 Karma

Wilcooley
Path Finder

As of 5.0.2, the docs are... different. "Troubleshoot Splunk SSO" says, "Splunk is configured to accept the remote header value of X_REMOTE_USER, which is the default for most proxies." http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.2/Security/TroubleshootSplunkSSO

"Configure ..." in that same doc says, "The default Splunk header used is REMOTE_USER, ...". And web.conf.spec agrees.

0 Karma

wsw70
Communicator

@Simon: I did not test extensively but if the "special character" not to use would be the underscore, it would clash with splunk's documentation (where REMOTE_USER is mentioned). Unfortunately it appears that it could be the case (I do not know if a header like HELLO_WORLD would work or is it just REMOTE_USER which is specifically a problem).
Anyway - this is a bug and I will open a ticket with splunk about that.

anshu2812
Explorer

I got SSO working with splunk using ARR v2.5 and URL rewriter 2.0 and it works as a charm.

0 Karma

vidyadharms

Can you please share the steps followed?

0 Karma

Wilcooley
Path Finder

Using REMOTE_USER as the HTTP header or something else?

(To save everyone else the trouble of figuring out what "ARR v2.5 and URL rewriter 2.0" are: They're part of Microsoft IIS.)

Simon
Contributor

My observation is, that Splunk (maybe only in certain version) only accepts HTTP-headers for SSO not containing any special character. At least, it works for me when using something like "SPLUNKUSER"

wsw70
Communicator

Same problem with splunk 5.0.1. Thanks for the solution, I would never have guessed that REMOTE_HOST does not work (I posted my config at http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/75090/sso-configuration-example-of-an-apache-proxy-to-cas, cross-referencing your solution on the way)

fervin
Path Finder

I can't get REMOTE-USER to work, either. Our config worked before 4.3 .. LDAP works fine, SSO debug page says SSO will be used, but the search app insists user=UNKNOWN_USER. I really want to upgrade to 4.3 but here we are at 4.3.3 with no resolution. Come on Splunk, fix this!

wageof
Engager

I can confirm that REMOTE_USER doesn't work

Wilcooley
Path Finder

Perhaps I should ask the follow-up question: Does this actually work for other people?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...