Security

Query on security mechanism of SPLUNK

Subhasis_85

I work for a multinational company and my supervisor wants me to investigate on the uses of SPLUNK and how it can be helpful to our project. I have gone through documentation provided in the website and gathered some information about the product but my main area of concern is data security (I work in a payroll domain company and data is very critical for us). So here are my questions.

1. So by using SPLUNK, will we have to share our data with any third party or portal?
  2. SPLUNK software, is it a local installation?
  3. Will the data at any time during the uses of SPLUNK go out of our network?

EDIT: I couldn't leave it spelt incorrectly... 🙂 -Drainy

0 Karma
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Well, first of all, it's "Splunk", not "Spunk".

1. No
  2. Yes
  3. No, unless you configure it to do so or otherwise do something to make it happen.

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Well, first of all, it's "Splunk", not "Spunk".

1. No
  2. Yes
  3. No, unless you configure it to do so or otherwise do something to make it happen.

DaveSavage
Builder

By way of support to the above - we ran up instances, 'islanded' due to security requirements which met very stringent accreditations.
The devil in the detail re Q3 - if you are a Network Engineer then no probs. If you are an end user then perhaps seek advice. Users access Splunk via HTTP or HTTPS to run searches so how much control you have over your user community is probably your exposure, and where the indexer is / any forwarders. Well worth engaging consultancies to plan your deployment model if complex. Eqalis in the UK are excellent. Good luck, have fun - its a great product.

0 Karma

Subhasis_85

I am really sorry for misspelling Splunk, and thank a lot for your clear and concise reply. This will help me a lot..

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...