Security

Permissions to change the role of admin users in Splunk Console

splunkceh
Engager

I am an admin user in the Splunk console on prem, and I was going to update the roles of certain admin users from admin down to power.   The issue is that whenever I attempt to do this  it silently fails.  I click save and all is well but when I refresh the console they are still admin.  

We are authenticating with our AD accounts.   I am able to change the Role capabilities, but when I attempt to downgrade a user from admin to power there is not even an error message with feedback saying what happened to the operation.   

Any ideas?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

anilchaithu
Builder

@splunkceh 

How did you setup authentication? Since you have mentioned AD account I am assuming LDAP (OR) SAML.

The auth model works by mapping AD groups to a role. You need to remove the mapping between the users AD group and admin role. you can do it by either remove the mapping from UI OR back-end authentication.conf file.

authentication.conf
admin = ADGroup1;ADGroup2

Lets say if the users are in ADGroup2, then you have to assign a different role the group like below

authentication.conf
admin = ADGroup1
user = ADGroup2

UI:
settings -> authentication methods -> LDAP (OR) SAML -> select strategy (if LDAP) -> change mappings

If these users are part of the same user group as yours, then either you have to create a new AD group for admin role OR remove the users from this AD Group

If this helps, upvote would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkceh ,

to change the role of an user, when using the LDAP authentication, you have to move it in a different AD group outside Splunk.

In Splunk you can only associate a role to an AD Group, not move users from groups or change role to an user.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

anilchaithu
Builder

@splunkceh 

How did you setup authentication? Since you have mentioned AD account I am assuming LDAP (OR) SAML.

The auth model works by mapping AD groups to a role. You need to remove the mapping between the users AD group and admin role. you can do it by either remove the mapping from UI OR back-end authentication.conf file.

authentication.conf
admin = ADGroup1;ADGroup2

Lets say if the users are in ADGroup2, then you have to assign a different role the group like below

authentication.conf
admin = ADGroup1
user = ADGroup2

UI:
settings -> authentication methods -> LDAP (OR) SAML -> select strategy (if LDAP) -> change mappings

If these users are part of the same user group as yours, then either you have to create a new AD group for admin role OR remove the users from this AD Group

If this helps, upvote would be appreciated.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...