Security

Patch for CVE-2021-4428

dhotlosz
Explorer

Does splunk have a patch for

CVE-2021-4428

Qualys has identified Apache Log4j Remote Code Execution (RCE) Vulnerability (Log4Shell) on the Splunk servers. Please update impacted Splunk infrastructure with any updates they provide.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @dhotlosz 

You could track the status here and find relevant info for your products in use.

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/blog/bulletins/splunk-security-advisory-for-apache-log4j-cve-2021-44228...

---

An upvote would be appreciated if this reply helps!

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please remember that though updating and patching your servers is a good practice on its own, this CVE depends on user-supplied input to be exploited. Therefore log4j included in splunk_archiver seems relatively unlikely to be abused this way. Which means that it's generally good to be on the safe side and have this vulnerability patched but this particular occurrence isn't that critical.

0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @dhotlosz 

You could track the status here and find relevant info for your products in use.

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/blog/bulletins/splunk-security-advisory-for-apache-log4j-cve-2021-44228...

---

dhotlosz
Explorer

I removed the files but some keep coming back.

I see the advisory was updated with this

If any jar files return in the splunk_archiver app, disabling the default Bucket Copy Trigger search in that app will stop this behavior from happening.

How do I disable the bucket copy trigger search in the app?

Thanks

Dave

0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @dhotlosz 

Go to if linux  - /opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_archiver/default

open savedsearches.conf, find [Bucket Copy Trigger] add disabled = 1.

---

0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

May be create a local dir and add disabled = 1 instead of default.

If you are using deployer , deployment server and master push from there by setting disabled = 1 in local dir.

0 Karma

dhotlosz
Explorer

Thanks for the link I found it after I posted also but it does help

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...