Security

Passing credentials in Splunk URL

pjsplunker

I am doing some load testing and need to pass uid and pwd in the Splunk URL. Generically, it looks like there are several ways to do it. Anyone have a sample that works ?

Thx..

Tags (1)
0 Karma

jonuwz
Influencer

Create a setcion in etc/system/local/web.conf like this :

[settings]
enable_insecure_login = True

Restart splunk

Now you can log in directly with

http://splunk:8000/en-US/account/insecurelogin?username=admin&password=changeme

jonuwz
Influencer

You might want to accept this answer if it worked for you so that other people can find it

0 Karma

jonuwz
Influencer

That is a terrible, terrible idea. Anyone looking at your source in the external app would be able to get splunk credentials.

i.e. I know your admin password is "smol"

and there's no use passing additional fields to the login screen. You probably want to re-direct it to a different page.

&return_to=%2Fen-GB%2Fapp%2Fmy_app%2Fmy_view

0 Karma

thunder_wu
Path Finder

There is a valid case. I want to use it for my local splunk free installation and prototyping. This way do not have to type admin/admin every time.

0 Karma

smolcj
Builder

some values from an external application bypassing splunk credentials. after reading this answer from jonuwz i think it will be a good idea when splunk is redirecting from some other applications with some values passing through the url.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Purpose being what?

0 Karma

smolcj
Builder

can i pass an external value along with this?
something like idno=12234
http://localhost:8000/en-US/account/insecurelogin?username=admin&password=smol&srno=777

0 Karma

pjsplunker

Awesome, thanks !

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...