Security

PREROUTED 514 traffic not being seen by Splunk

robnewman666
Path Finder

I have set up a port redirect using iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p UDP -m udp --dport 514 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 5140 and I can see the traffic hitting my em3 port using tcpdump, plus I have set up the port to listen for UDP traffic in Splunk, but nothing shows up within Splunk (indexes etc). I have made this work before using this method, but it isn't today and its bugging me - any ideas why it's not?

Tags (3)
0 Karma

TiagoTLD1
Communicator

Hi,

Check index=_internal for the connection from the por you are expecting. If data is really hitting splunk, some message will show up there about it.

Let me know once you have results

0 Karma

robnewman666
Path Finder

so i configured an inputs.conf with the following:
[udp://5140]
sourcetype=syslog
connection_host=ip
queueSize = 1MB
persistentQueueSize = 5MB

Now I can see traffic going to port 5140 via index=_internal, but the host is showing as localhost=localdomain, not the ip address I would usually expect.

0 Karma

TiagoTLD1
Communicator

In your inputs.conf you are not specifying any index, so I would check index=main to see if the data is arriving there.

0 Karma

robnewman666
Path Finder

Thanks, will try this tomorrow to see if it works.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...