Security

OS and browser extraction from useragent

abhiram
Explorer

Hi,

I need to extract OS and browser details from useragent.
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
I need to capture Web Browser Version and Operating System Version from each user per visit. Is there any easy way that I can get the info instead of writing python script?

Tags (3)

lguinn2
Legend

There is an app that provides a dynamic lookup for user agent strings; it is called TA-uas_parser. Download it from

http://apps.splunk.com/app/1007

It's free. The user agent string can be very complex. I don't recommend that you build this yourself.

justdan23
Path Finder

Is this better than TA-browscap? I'm trying to eval all these Apps to figure out which one to use.

0 Karma

stefandagerman
Path Finder

Well, define 'easy'... 🙂
How familiar are you with regular expressions? Given your example useragent string above, what are your desired values for
- Browser Version
- OS version

julianj
Explorer

I'm having trouble with this as well. The problem for me is I don't exactly know how to handle the varying information within the parenthesis. For example:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:39.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/39.0
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)

Here, the Windows NT 6.1 is in different locations, so it is very difficult to make a field extraction for Platform Token and Version Token. Any words of advice?

Additionally: I am unable to use an app or script, as I do not have access, and will need advice for the query itself.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...