Security

Nessus vulnerability scan causes splunkweb to shut down with "too many open files" error

Contributor

Had myself a little denial of service today. Ran a Nessus scan for the first time on our main Splunk indexer/web interface. The scan caused Splunkweb to shut down...

2010-05-13 15:52:16,301 ERROR  [4be85e4ab8125c290] root:120 - ENGINE: Error in HTTP server: shutting down
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/splunk/app/splunk/lib/python2.6/site-packages/cherrypy/process/servers.py", line 73, in _start_http_thread
  File "/splunk/app/splunk/lib/python2.6/site-packages/cherrypy/wsgiserver/__init__.py", line 1662, in start self.tick()
  File "/splunk/app/splunk/lib/python2.6/site-packages/cherrypy/wsgiserver/__init__.py", line 1717, in ticks, addr = self.socket.accept()
  File "/splunk/app/splunk/lib/python2.6/ssl.py", line 317, in accept newsock, addr = socket.accept(self)
  File "/splunk/app/splunk/lib/python2.6/socket.py", line 195, in accept error: [Errno 24] Too many open files

Something I should tune with Nessus to scale back the requests?

2 Solutions

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Solaris has an nofiles ulimit of 256 by default. Other unixes have larger defaults.

There's a variety of possible responses we could have to this sort of thing:

• throttle very active users
  • refuse to allow more than N concurrent accesses
  • scale either of the above in proportion to the nofiles ulimit

Does this cure seem better than the poison? It introduces new problems.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Communicator

It looks like this may have been fixed in 4.1.4. Have you tried it?

0 Karma

Communicator

It looks like this may have been fixed in 4.1.4. Have you tried it?

0 Karma

Contributor

confirmed that it is fixed in 4.1.5 (skipped 4.1.4)

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Solaris has an nofiles ulimit of 256 by default. Other unixes have larger defaults.

There's a variety of possible responses we could have to this sort of thing:

• throttle very active users
  • refuse to allow more than N concurrent accesses
  • scale either of the above in proportion to the nofiles ulimit

Does this cure seem better than the poison? It introduces new problems.

0 Karma

Communicator

I run nessus daily on the splunk server without any issues. Perhaps you have a very aggressive profile? Can you share that?

0 Karma

Contributor

Yeah, looks like it may be a Solaris x64 issue. I have a Splunk engineer researching for me (my Solaris-fu is not strong).

0 Karma

Communicator

Could this be OS specific?

0 Karma

Contributor

My scan was really nothing special- one that I've run on dozens of other servers. Safe checks, moderate simultaneous threads, etc. I'm going to give it another go later today to see what happens.

0 Karma