Security

Need a new Splunk Enterprise trial license for fundamentals training

Danny83Karouw

I have installed Splunk Enterprise trial version in the past to learn how to use Splunk.

Now, I have been invited for Splunk trainings, but before you can enter paid trainings you need to accomplish the course 1 fundamentals training which consist of 13 modules where you need a Splunk environment with admin rights.
The problem is that I have already used that license (Splunk Enterprise Trial) before, when I did not know I would be attending official Splunk trainings.

I have already started the fundamentals training and have a deadline for this first course, but I can't install the right environment I need to complete this training.

I have allready tried to call to USA for information on new license, but no one answered.
After that I have called Germany Splunk support (they did answer), but they haven't further responded to my mail or phone.

I really need a new license for the trial Enterprise version, or I will have to cancel the second and third course for me (since I need to pass the first weblearning training to enroll the next).

So...How can I fast get a new license for the TRIAL ENTERPRISE VERSION to complete the weblearning?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Danny Karouw

0 Karma
1 Solution

schollaert
Explorer

Just delete your current installation and reinstall from scratch. First backup your indexes if you want to preserve them. Restore afterwards.

Best regards,

Jan

View solution in original post

schollaert
Explorer

Just delete your current installation and reinstall from scratch. First backup your indexes if you want to preserve them. Restore afterwards.

Best regards,

Jan

Danny83Karouw

I have tried that multiple times. but after the install there are a few options for the license. but the one I need states in red that I can't use the trial version because of expired license..(of already used of some sort, I can't select the Enterprise trial anymore).

0 Karma

schollaert
Explorer

Strange. I just tried this with Splunk 6.6.3 on Windows as well as Linux and it works fine for me.

Which version did you use?

Regards,

Jan

0 Karma

Danny83Karouw

I'm on a windows 7 so Splunk 6.4.8.
Did you not receive a license kind of prompt with 4 options after "finish" installation?
1st: Splunk License enterprise
2nd: Splunk Forwarders License
3rd: Splunk Cloud License
4th: Splunk Enterprise License
underneath 1st and 4th option there was a license expired text and if you still selected one of those, you would be redirected to the "change license pool" options with a file or xml input.

Maybe because you still have an active license, this won't pop up?

But I have a reset license, and connected the obtained license for support. I could then restart Splunk and go back to the interface! Yay

Thank you for checking though.

Danny

0 Karma

Danny83Karouw

Sorry the fourth options in comment above is trial version obviously.

0 Karma

schollaert
Explorer

No prompt. Installed License : "Splunk Enterprise + Hunk Download Trial"

The license of 6.4.8 is allready expired: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/555832/license-is-expired-on-trial-version.html

See https://www.splunk.com/page/previous_releases#x86_64windows :

Note: Non-Linux releases downloaded from this page no longer include an active trial license. If you intend to use an older (non-Linux) release of Splunk for trial use, you will need to install an updated trial license. To do so:
1. Download enttrial.lic
2. Copy file to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/licenses/download-trial/enttrial.lic or %SPLUNK_HOME%\etc\licenses\download-trial\enttrial.lic on Windows. Replace the existing file if it exists.
3. Restart Splunk if it is running: in Splunk Web, click Settings > Server controls.

Best Regards,

Jan

0 Karma

Danny83Karouw

Ah....I really need to scan pages for info, although having a clear target for what I want to do...You are absolutely right and it was multiple times under my sight....Thank you for being very accurate!

0 Karma

DMohn
Motivator

Easy answer: Set up a (Linux) virtual machine (e.g. with VirtualBox), install your favourite Linux Distro, download Splunk Linux Version, install, be happy 🙂

0 Karma

Danny83Karouw

Hello DMohn, I have contacted our local Splunk support in europe.
The person I came in contact with was helpfull and had some questions.
He stated that he could immediately send a new license key for the trial version as he understood it was for the training purpose which required to be completed before expiration. Offcourse it would be a different story for "official" licenses I can understand.
Thank you anyway for the time invested. I could not give any points, because I just signed up and have no points to give. But dearly noted for the help.

Kind regards,
Danny

0 Karma

DMohn
Motivator

Good to hear you found a solution for you.

Even if you just registered, you could still click on "accept answer", as this will mark your issue as resolved and might help others who have the same question to find a swift answer.

Happy Splunking
Dennis

0 Karma

Danny83Karouw

DMohn, I really appreciate your help, but Schollaert beneath has pinpointed the exact license problem I had with the appropriate solution (on the Splunk download page itself).
Therefor that answer is better suited for this question although yours would probably also work as workaround. I will accept his answer.

thanks!

0 Karma

Danny83Karouw

Hello DMohn,
Thank you for your answer!
But is there no other way then to create a VM and do all installation again?
I think I just really need a new license key from Splunk support..?

0 Karma

DMohn
Motivator

Splunk usually does not give out license keys to personal users.

Aer you working for a company that uses Splunk? They might have a (sales) trial key.

Another option might be to sign up for a personal developer license: http://dev.splunk.com/page/developer_license_sign_up

0 Karma

Danny83Karouw

Yes I know, but I just need a trial version license key so the key for 30 days Enterprise trial what will expire and after that it will redirect to the free version, just so I can complete the fundamentals E-learning from Splunk so I can enroll the second training.
I'ts a bit off an odd story, but when I used the trial version months ago, I did not know to get an actual training of Splunk.
I will check your answers out here and the link. Maybe I can "borrow" a trial license key if they have it here.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...