Security

Native Password Complexity in Splunk

pj
Contributor

Is there anyway to enforce password complexity using Splunk's native user/password authentication?

Specifically I am looking for:

1. First time user logs in, they must change their password in Splunk's user screen
  2. Password must follow a minimum defined complexity (e.g. uppercase, lowercase, numbers, special chars and a certain length)
  3. After x months, user must change their password again

I realise that it can be done through SSO, LDAP integration etc. but I am looking for something within Splunk itself (or perhaps some kind of script) as none of these other mechanisms are an option for us right now.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

At this time, we don't have plans to implement this kind of improvement in the native Splunk authentication mechanism. The best practice is to use LDAP authentication with Splunk.

I know you mentioned that LDAP is not an option, but it isn't that hard to set up and maintain OpenLDAP.

View solution in original post

israelgutierrez
Path Finder

Hi, i saw this is an old post but the question is the same, now in the new versions of Splunk is there an way to do this? or is in the path to do it?

0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

At this time, we don't have plans to implement this kind of improvement in the native Splunk authentication mechanism. The best practice is to use LDAP authentication with Splunk.

I know you mentioned that LDAP is not an option, but it isn't that hard to set up and maintain OpenLDAP.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...