Security

Masking credit cards

cjs226
Explorer

While I'm able to mask 16 digit numbers I would like a more sophisticated approach as there are some numbers in that range that are not credit card numbers which I don't want to mask, such as error codes. Is anyone utilizing the Luhn Algorithm (http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Luhn_test_of_credit_card_numbers) or something better than my current approach?

Tags (3)
0 Karma

sachol
Engager

from that site, they can either use a masking tool with a canned CCN mask:

or generate CCNs with a test data generator (using Luhn), but again, external to Splunk:

0 Karma

MicroAlpha
Explorer

southeringtonp
Motivator

Splunk by itself is only going to be able to mask based on regex replacement, but that doesn't necessarily mean any 16-digit string.

If you want to fully run the Luhn algorithm, you'd need to be using a scripted input to Splunk, or have some external form of pre-processing.

cjs226
Explorer

Thanks, I'm using the info from the first link you mention but the 2nd won't work (completely) for me as I have to account for different and yet to be determined credit card companies. This is why I'm hoping for a solution that incorporates the Lunh Algorithm or a better approach.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...