Security

Masking credit cards

cjs226
Explorer

While I'm able to mask 16 digit numbers I would like a more sophisticated approach as there are some numbers in that range that are not credit card numbers which I don't want to mask, such as error codes. Is anyone utilizing the Luhn Algorithm (http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Luhn_test_of_credit_card_numbers) or something better than my current approach?

Tags (3)
0 Karma

sachol
Engager

from that site, they can either use a masking tool with a canned CCN mask:

or generate CCNs with a test data generator (using Luhn), but again, external to Splunk:

0 Karma

MicroAlpha
Explorer

southeringtonp
Motivator

Splunk by itself is only going to be able to mask based on regex replacement, but that doesn't necessarily mean any 16-digit string.

If you want to fully run the Luhn algorithm, you'd need to be using a scripted input to Splunk, or have some external form of pre-processing.

cjs226
Explorer

Thanks, I'm using the info from the first link you mention but the 2nd won't work (completely) for me as I have to account for different and yet to be determined credit card companies. This is why I'm hoping for a solution that incorporates the Lunh Algorithm or a better approach.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...