Security

Key-value pair extraction

jkloet
Explorer

Given the event (output from Cisco ASA 'show vpn-sessiondb full svc' command)...

Session ID: 33397 | EasyVPN: 0 | Username: user@company.com | Group: VPN-User | Tunnel Group: WebVPN-AD-Authentication | IP Addr: 192.168.1.1 | Public IP: 184.151.1.1 | Protocol: Clientless SSL-Tunnel DTLS-Tunnel | License: SSL VPN | Session Subtype: With client | Encryption: RC4 AES128 | Login Time: 15:35:44 EST Tue Nov 22 2011 | Duration: 0h:00m:35s | Inactivity: 0h:00m:00s | Bytes Tx: 20277 | Bytes Rx: 19574 | NAC Result: Unknown | Posture Token: | VLAN Mapping: N/A | VLAN: 0 ||

... I am able to extract the key-value pairs using:

**props.conf
[vpnsessiondata]

DATETIME_CONFIG=CURRENT

REPORT-sessiondata=sessiondata

**transforms.conf

[sessiondata]

DELIMS = "|", ":"

The problem during searches is that a field is ignored if the character delimiting the key from the value (":" in this case) is also contained within the value (any time value for instance).

How can I deal with this?

Thanks! Jeff

0 Karma
1 Solution

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

OK, in that case then try something like this using your transforms stanza:

transforms.conf
[sessiondata]
REGEX = ([^\|]+):\s([^\|]+)
FORMAT = $1::$2

REGEX reads "anything that is not a pipe, followed by a colon, followed by a space, followed by a pipe, followed by anything that is not a pipe.

Hope this helps.

> please upvote and accept answer if you find it useful - thanks!

View solution in original post

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

OK, in that case then try something like this using your transforms stanza:

transforms.conf
[sessiondata]
REGEX = ([^\|]+):\s([^\|]+)

REGEX reads "anything that is not a pipe, followed by a colon, followed by a space, followed by a pipe, followed by anything that is not a pipe.

Hope this helps.

jkloet
Explorer

That works as needed... thanks!! Jeff

0 Karma

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Not sure whether this will work, but give it a try.

transforms.conf
[sessiondata]
DELIMS = "|", ": "

Notice the space after : in DELIMS

Hope this helps.

0 Karma

jkloet
Explorer

That would be nice however the documentation says:

[multiple_delims]
DELIMS = "|;", "=:"

*The above example extracts key-value pairs which are separated by '|' or ';'.
*while the key is delimited from value by '=' or ':'.

0 Karma

tpsplunk
Communicator

I don't think you can use DELIMS to do this because as you've noted it doesn't work well when one of your delimiters shows up in a key or value field. I had to solve this by using a REGEX instead, see: http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/34550/help-with-regex-to-separate-keyvalue-pairs-with-a-charac...

in your case you would want to craft a regex that captures into two capture groups, group 1 is the key and group 2 is the value.

REGEX = To be created

i will try to figure out the regex, but my regex-fu is of a medium level so hopefully someone will beat me to it.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...