Security

Issue using Auth Token within a bash script

calvinmcelroy
Path Finder

I am trying to work through an issue and cannot seem to find a answer. I need to create a bash script that uses an auth token to make calls to the Splunk Rest API. The script will be used by a custom app that is located on a searchhead (linux). Token Authentication has been enabled, and I can verify that the Token is enabled and valid.  I can use the Token to make ad-hoc Rest API requests via the terminal local to the searchhead. If I try to use it within the script I am seeing unexpected behavior. 

The token seems to be able to make certain API calls in the script but it cannot retrieve the results of the call. An example would be I can use the token in the script to initiate a search. I will receive back the Sid of that search. If I use the same script to try to retrieve the search results using the Sid, I get back nothing. No error message, but just no output at all. If I manually re-run the same API request using the Token and the same Sid outside of the script on the terminal. It will return my search result as expected. 

I have turned on debug logging for JsonWebTokenHandler and see no issue. This behavior happens if I use the bash interpreter to execute the script (./script.sh) or (/opt/splunk/etc/app/app_name/bin/script.sh). There is no difference if I execute the script with /opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd <path_to_script>. 

I remember reading that there is something strange about the local interpreter that could be causing this, but I cannot find it again on google. Does anybody know what might be causing this behavior or how I can overcome this issue?

Searchhead is running Splunk version 8.1.2 hosted on Ubuntu. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

calvinmcelroy
Path Finder

Another Detail - If I replace the token with username:password, the script can retrieve the search results using the sid.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...