Security

Is there a way to hide or disable "Manage Apps" and "Open in Search" on a dashboard from users with a restricted role?

flee
Path Finder

Hi. We have users with a restricted role. When that user logs in, we'd like to hide/disable "Manage Apps" and "Search & Reporting" apps from the App dropdown list. Also, we'd like to hide/disable "Open in Search" option from each panel on a dashboard. Is there a way to hide/disable those? Thanks for your help!

1 Solution

David
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In addition to the controls that somesoni2 mentioned, you can also hide the Manage Apps menu altogether on a dashboard. I tested this out by creating a new css file at $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/mytestapp/appserver/static/hidemanageapps.css (I had to create the appserver/static directory since it didn't exist by default). Then I added the following text into hidemanageapps.css:

.menu-apps {display: none !important;}

In my dashboard, I added a stylesheet="hidemanageapps.css" into the form element and then restarted Splunk. After that, I was able to go to the page and the manage apps dropdown didn't appear. It's important to make sure that users don't have access to this, in addition to hiding the menu, as we don't want security by obscurity. The approach detailed by somesoni2 will meet that need; in my environment, I was also able to prevent users from getting access to anything undesirable by just inheriting the user role, but you can take whatever approach works the best for you (I have no doubt that there are benefits to the more detailed method).

Update: if you just want to hide the last part of the list (i.e., allow users to choose apps, but not see the manage apps part), you can use the following CSS:

.menu-apps ul {display: none;}
.menu-list {display: block !important;}

View solution in original post

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...