Security

Is it possible to admin Splunk instance without logon to the OS splunk user?

damucka
Builder

Hello,

I have an issue with the security of the Splunk installation. Actually it is not about Splunk itself - after each security audit in my company, the OS user Splunk gets turned into the no shell, which means I am not able to switch to it using the su command. 

Is it possible at all to run the Splunk instance on Linux without the logon access to the "splunk" OS user?

Surely one could turn the Splunk into the service version, but when I think about creating/changing the configuration files .. they all have to have proper access rights - the easiest is to do it as a "splunk". When operating it as a root, sooner or later there will be an issues with that I would say.

Or is my understanding completely wrong?

Kind Regards,

Kamil 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To some extent it depends on your environment. With a simple all-in-one installation you might do with just restarting the process with systemctl. With a clustered installation, to be honest, I don't think I would be able to effectively use it without being able to call splunk to - for example - validate configuration bundle.

But remember that even though the account might have nologin as shell, or something like that, you can always specify your own shell with su 🙂

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you explain to your company's security people that the splunk account is necessary for managing Splunk and that the account needs a shell?  Yes, you can use root, but there are bigger security risks to doing that as well as the issues you mentioned.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To some extent it depends on your environment. With a simple all-in-one installation you might do with just restarting the process with systemctl. With a clustered installation, to be honest, I don't think I would be able to effectively use it without being able to call splunk to - for example - validate configuration bundle.

But remember that even though the account might have nologin as shell, or something like that, you can always specify your own shell with su 🙂

damucka
Builder

@PickleRick 

Honestly, your last tip made my day 🙂

Regards,

Kamil

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...